Think of all the words that come to your mind when we talk about Earthworms – “wriggly”, “slimy”, “yucky”, “dirty”, “Eww” :). Does helpful ever come to your mind? No, I don’t think so. The truth is that Earthworms might not be the cutest animals but they sure are very helpful. How so?
Here is the thing – when worms tunnel through the soil they make it porous (they make air holes in the soil). This helps plants grow their roots in the soil really fast. Earthworms eat away almost anything that was once alive, for example dead insects – kind of cleaning up the mess. And to add – their poop makes the soil more fertile too.
Interesting facts about worms:-
- A worm has no arms, legs or eyes.
- Worms cannot hear or see.
- The earthworm does not have lungs and instead uses its skin to breath.
- Worms can have up to 5 hearts depending on the type of worm it is.
- A worm can live up to 15 years.