Hey there, Look at the gorgeous Earth and the glorious moon !! They are always together and look so good with each other. Lets explore some amazing facts about Earth and Moon..
- Moon is the Earth’s only natural satellite. A satellite is an object that orbits another object in space. A natural satellite is one that orbits around a planet; it could be a planet like object or an asteroid.
- The side of the moon that we can see from Earth, that is, the moon that we see in our sky, is called the near side. The other side that we can’t see is called the far side or the dark side.
- Moon is much smaller than Earth. About fifty moons put together will make one Earth. Therefore the force of gravity on the moon is also much smaller than on the Earth. It is one sixth as compared to that of the earth. So if you weigh 60 kg on the Earth you will feel like you only weigh 10 kg if you land on moon. Now talk about losing weight !! You see your mommy working hard to lose weight ? Just send her to moon huh!
- Moon has no atmosphere so its sky is black. You need atmosphere to make the sky blue and that is why Earth’s sky is blue. Not atmosphere also means that if you ever travel to moon, you must carry your own air cylinders for breathing
- Tides – rise and fall of the water in Earth’s oceans, are mainly caused by the gravitational pull of the Moon. Since Moon is the closest to the earth, it exerts a strong gravitational pull. This gravitational force pulls the water in the oceans towards the moon.
- Because moon and earth both are moving, there are times when we see moon fully (circle moon) while there are other times we see moon partially ( a crescent moon, a semicircle moon ). We call this “The Phases of the Moon”. These Phases are named as: New Moon, Crescent, First Quarter, Waxing Gibbous, Full Moon, Waning Gibbous, Last Quarter, Crescent, New Moon.
Looks fantstic right !