What else could we be talking about but the gorgeous ringed planet Saturn. Here are some interesting facts about the planet.
- Saturn is the sixth planet from the Sun and the second largest planet in the Solar System.
- Saturn is about 95 times bigger than our Earth. That is huge!
- Saturn has a tiny rocky center and rest is liquid and gas because of which it is so light that if there was an ocean big enough to hold it, it would float on it like a ball.
- Saturn has a rings around it which makes it most spectacular looking planet in the solar syatem. The planet has 9 main rings that are mostly made up of millions of ice chunks and a small amount of rocks and dust. Each of these rings are associated with letters. A, B and C refer to the three brightest rings of Saturn.
- Saturn has 62 moons that orbit around it out of which only 53 have been named by scientists.
- Titan is the Saturn’s largest and the Solar System’s second largest moon. It is even larger than the planet Mercury!! Recently a team of international scientists suggested that Saturn’s giant moon Titan may have a salty ocean beneath its surface.
Saturn is sometimes called “The Jewel of the Solar System.” The planet is named after Saturn. He was the Roman god of farming.
(Photo Credit NASA)