Being a mother of two it is quite a challenge sometimes to stop the wars between the two siblings. My older daughter once got so upset that she wanted to return her two-year brother to the baby shop where we got him from ;). She said she was “sick and tired” of him touching her things and wanted a new “baby sister” instead. Sometimes the cute fights can really become ugly and might eventually lead to what we call a “sibling rivalry”. Here is how to make them love and not hate each other –
- Be fair – Things will really get out of control if a child thinks that you are playing favorites. So be fair in your judgements.
- Set this rule – Your kids should know that they cannot be mean to each other, that is simply not an option.
- Common ground – Find common activities that your kids love to do. Find plenty of those.
- Leave them alone – There is no need to mediate their fights all the time, sometimes if you just ignore the fights long enough they patch up on their own.
- Make them take a break – Sometimes it is crucial for them to spend some time away from each other to realize how important they are for each other.